Skip to main content
#
A Clear Direction
rss feedour twitterour facebook page linkdin
home
Financial Advisor Brisbane - AdviserScott Keefer - A Clear DirectionBuilding Investment PortfoliosPortfolio Management ServiceUpdated ContentContact Us - Brisbane Financial Planning
A Clear Direction Financial Planning logo

 Financial Happenings Blog 
Tuesday, November 27 2007

An article in the Wealth Section of today's Australian caught my eye.  The article was written by Don Stammer, a well respected economic commentator.

The article made 10 year predictions for various investment market returns.

His 10 year prediction for returns from Australian shares was 10% a year.  This was based on the current income of 3.5% and growth in income of 6.5% - a total return of 10%.  He says that dividends tend to increase at the rate of GDP (gross domestic product), which he forecasts to be 6.5%.

Listed property is currently paying average income of 5.5%.  He notes that the income from listed property trusts grow at a trend rate of around 4.5% annually.  This gives a total return of 10% annually.

Don Stammer also forecasts returns of 10% a year from international shares, and notes that emerging countries should outperform this.  His forecast for inflation is 3% a year.

This 10% forecast is exactly the same as the forecast that I get using research from respected academic Jeremey Seigel.  He suggest that the long run return from sharemarkets is 7% above inflation.  If inflation runs at 3%, then this will be a total return of 10%.  To achieve this he says that sharemarkets should be on a PE ratio of about 14 to 15 - where they are now.

10% returns from growth assets is lower than they have been historically - although the inflation forecast is lower as well.

Cheers

Scott

Posted by: Scott Francis AT 06:33 pm   |  Permalink   |  Email
 
Scott Francis' articles in the Eureka Report 
Request for Information 
If you have questions, or would like more information, please go to our Contact page and leave your name and contact information.

Plan Well, Invest Well, Live Well! Financial advice providing a clear direction

A Clear Direction Financial Planning and Portfolio Management ABN 85 147 572 870

Level 19
10 Eagle Street
Brisbane QLD Australia
Ph: (07) 3303 0269
Email: scottk@acleardirection.com.au

Authorised Representative (398444) and Credit Representative (403292) of FYG Planners Pty Ltd AFSL/ACL 224 543.

ASIC - Financial Advisers Register

All content of this website is copyright © A Clear Direction Financial Planning Pty Ltd, 2017

FYG Planners Pty Ltd & A Clear Direction Financial Planning Privacy Policy